Saturday, November 10, 2007

World's fastest Indian


I am not one who loves to keep abreast with the latest movies, especially in the first day, first show sort of a way. But I love movies, and love consuming them at my own leisure, with a chilled glass of barely water, and some of my favourite, artery clogging oil soaked crispies.
So please bare with me on this one, cause I understand talking about Anthony Hopkin’s The World’s Fastest Indian, two years after its international release, is ummm… late.
I had just had to watch this one, everyone I knew raved about the film, particularly my motorcycle buddies. That it wasn’t so much about riding, but transsexuals, Kiwi accents, and large hearted Americans, is something they forget to mention. Knowing them well, it’s more a case of not noticing, rather then mentioning.
Overall, I’d rate the movie as watch-able, but nothing exceptional at all. It’s also more for viewers who love to see a man emerge triumph against all possible odds than for a biking enthusiast.
But the beauty of the film is; how the odds just seem to sort themselves out mainly on account of Mr …. age! It’s unbelievable. No, no, not in the positive, exclamationsort of a way, but literally.
I mean, come on, first the shipment holding the bike gets damaged, but there’s barely a scratch on the Indian. Then Mr …. loses a wheel on his trolley carrying the Indian, resulting in the latter rolling around a bit, but behold! the bike still manages to survive without worrisome damage.
Mr kiwi finds himself a log, substitutes it for a wheel and carries on, is something I can digest, as he won’t be trying to break the 200mph record with this four wheel junk.
But the odds disappearing in thin air, or salt flats as it were, for Mr Kiwi continues right till the end of the almost two hour long flick.
Now, he hasn’t registered for the run, which the director conveys is an absolute, absolute must. Thanks a lot, to a lot of large hearted Americans then, for they convince the initially stuck up organizers to give the determined old man from down under the chance of a life time, even though his Indian doesn’t even meet the basic safety requirements for such a run.
There’s more of it, but I am beginning to get bored, and I am sure you are too. Now, I don’t want to sound cynical towards the movie, cause at the end of the day, this one’s based on a true story. And I am sure all of these odds pretty much existed, and were overcome too.
But so effortlessly? I seriously have my doubts. It’s the director’s cut then, that’s not really toothsome.

No comments: